DRESS CODE / UNIFORM POLICY
The Staff and Board of Management of Scoil Naomh Treasa, in consultation with parents, have established a dress code for all students attending the school.
PURPOSE OF A DRESS CODE POLICY
At Scoil Naomh Treasa, we believe a school dress code:
- Gives the students a sense of unity, belonging and pride in their school, which assists in building school and team spirit.
- Ensures that students are safely dressed for school activities and the environment.
- Minimises competition between students to wear more expensive or fashionable clothing and the pressure on parents to purchase this type of clothing, whilst encouraging equity among students.
- Clearly identifies Scoil Naomh Treasa students from other students on school outings etc.
- Fosters and enhances the public image of the school.
MODIFICATION TO THE DRESS CODE
Parents of students who for religious, cultural or health reasons may need to modify the school dress code are required to discuss this with the Principal. Staff members will be informed of any student granted a modification to the dress code. Requests for short term amendments should be discussed with class teachers.
The school uniform is worn three days a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. The school tracksuit is to be worn two days a week on Tuesdays and Fridays, and also on sporting occasions and school tours – unless otherwise informed. The specific allocated days for P.E are subject to change. Prior notification will be given to parents.
- Girls Uniform Dress Code: Navy Pinafore, Skirt or Trousers, Blue Shirt, Navy School Crested Cardigan / Jumper, Navy and Yellow Stripped Tie, Navy or white tights / socks and Dark shoes / boots
- Boys Uniform Dress Code: Navy Trousers, Blue Shirt, Navy School Crested Jumper, Navy and Yellow Stripped Tie, Dark shoes / boots
- School Crest available to purchase in school and must be attached to the school uniform jumper / cardigan and also the school tracksuit top at all times.
- Sports Dress Code: For P.E. students are required to wear a navy tracksuit, blue polo shirt and runners. The navy school top must have a crest attached. On swimming days, children are required to bring with them appropriate swim wear, hat, flip-flops / swim-socks, goggles (if required), and own towel.
- Winter Attire: Children are encouraged to wear warm outer clothing, i.e., Coat / Jacket, Hat, Scarf, Gloves etc.
- Summer Attire: On sunny days, we encourage children to wear sun hats and sun screen. Shorts are permitted to be worn, however, they must be navy in colour and an appropriate length.
Black or dark coloured shoes / boots are to be worn – no heels permitted. Runners are not allowed to be worn with the school uniform. We encourage children to wear shoes with laces or straps. Slip-on pumps are not advised. We encourage children in the infant classroom to wear velcro strap shoes, particularly if they are unable to tie their own laces. Runners with laces are to be worn on P.E days. Activities such as sport or nature excursions may necessitate alternative footwear such as wellington boots.
SPECIAL EVENTS CLOTHING
In some circumstances, students will be permitted to wear alternative clothes as agreed to by class teachers and principal, i.e.: Drama costumes, Jerseys – Goal Jersey Day, Halloween Fancy Dress, and Non-Uniform Days etc.
COMMUNION: appropriate Communion attire.
CONFIRMATION: Children wear their school uniform to ceremony.
In the interest of safety, earrings, if worn, should be of the small sleeper or stud variety. It is preferred that chains, necklaces and bracelets not be worn as they are easily broken. Nose / Eyebrow piercing are not permitted. Medical bracelets and jewellery are, of course, acceptable.
MAKE UP is not allowed to be worn.
Hair should be neatly groomed and kept out of the eyes. Shoulder length or longer hair should be kept tied back from the face. Extreme hair styles or cuts are not permitted.
It is strongly recommended that all clothing, especially jumpers, cardigans and coats are marked clearly with the student’s name.
AVAILABILITY OF SCHOOL UNIFORM
Our school crest is available to be purchased from the school office. The School crested tracksuit, cardigan and jumper can be bought from The Children’s Shop, Drogheda. They also carry a supply of all other uniform requirements. It is at a parent’s own discretion where the wish to purchase the school uniform.
SPARE CLOTHES PACK
A box of spare clothing is stored in the school, in particular for wetting incidents amongst junior students.
All staff are required to dress in an appropriate and professional manner at all times. Sports attire is restricted to P.E. lessons and sporting events / outings.
A uniform survey was sent out to all parents in April 2015. The results deemed no changes to the current policy.
Compiled : March 2011
Updated: May 2015
Review Date: May 2017
Ratified by Board of Management in May 2015
Signed: Rev. John Conlon
Chairperson, Board of Management